“And they came to Bethsaida. And some people brought to him a blind man and begged him to touch him. And he took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village, and when he had spit on his eyes and laid his hands on him, he asked him, “Do you see anything?” And he looked up and said, “I see people, but they look like trees, walking.” Then Jesus laid his hands on his eyes again; and he opened his eyes, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. And he sent him to his home, saying, “Do not even enter the village.” Mark 8:22-26
Have you ever wondered WHY Jesus asked the blind man; “Do you see anything?” Jesus is God and He’s omniscient. He knows the beginning, the end, and everything between. And He continually asks questions that He already knows the answers to, and it’s always for the benefit of the person He’s talking to.
There is power in God’s word and that power becomes apparent while meditating on the scripture, and by simply asking the questions that come to mind. First ask for the Holy Spirit to give you wisdom and insight. Just begin by asking yourself questions as you read the verses. Allow the words of God to prompt these questions. As you listen and search God’s truth, and answer the often obvious questions, God will often speak to you supernaturally through study, reading, and meditating on the truth.
Here are a few of the questions that came to my mind as I meditated on the above scripture. Pray that the scripture will become alive to you as it is for me. Jesus has promised He will Transform your heart, mind, and life.
1. In what ways are you blind to God’s truth? Pray that Jesus will show you every single way that your thinking is contrary to Him, and His eternal truth. Make a list of His qualities and ask Him to make these same qualities a reality in your life. Pray for wisdom and discernment and that you will know the difference between eternal truth, and the teachings of mere men.
2. Has God placed people in your life who care about you as much or more than those helping the blind man above? Who are they? Have you told them lately how much you appreciate and love them? How might you be able to help them? And how can you best pray for them? In any event encourage them day by day.
3. In what ways has Jesus touched your life? When we believe in Him, we receive forgiveness, eternal life, and the never-ending benefit of all of His promises. In what other ways has He touched you? Over what old ways has he given you victory? What new qualities do others love about you? Where do you need for Him to touch you now to gain victory over yourself and old worldly ways? Pray a prayer of thanksgiving for the new things that have come into your life in Christ. And pray God will help you put off all immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, fear, worry, doubt, pride, lust, jealousy, and selfishness; and put on humility, “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Galatians 5:20-23 Practice the good, the clean, the pure, the powerful, and the positive. And put on the Mind of Christ.
4. Where is Jesus leading you? What circumstances are hindering you from being the best person God wants for you to be? Are you still a slave to the things of this world? Or are you resting in Jesus, Abiding in Christ spiritually, free of all of the chains and traps that the world uses to keep you in it’s never-ending bondage? Are there people in your life that are leading you to stumble and to do things that are contrary to your calling? Pray that Jesus will give you courage to break free of the old things, people, and ways that hinder you from standing firm in Christ. What new path does Jesus want to lead you down? Pray for His leading, guidance, and peace.
5. What do you need to beg Jesus for? Do you need healing? Does someone you love need healing? Do you need work? Is there a seemingly impossible problem? God always answers our prayers. But keep in mind the lesson of Solomon in 1 Kings 3 — praying for riches, honor, and glory is unwise. But rather pray for wisdom and discernment in helping others. God’s other blessings will be provided to you as well. But whatever your needs are – always pray to God that His will be done, and with an attitude of thanksgiving, confidence, and humility.
6. What other questions does God have for you? What do you want God to make Clear to you? Why don’t you listen to God and follow Him? What is your biggest stumbling block? How is Satan attacking you? What do you think God wants for you to do next? Why don’t you pray more? What is God’s will for you today? Why aren’t you more thankful? Why don’t you put on the fruit of the Spirit daily? How are you using the most important gift God has given you?
7. What is it that God is not making clear to you? What do you need to see more clearly? What are God’s next steps for you? Wisdom and Discernment. Pray that God will open your eyes, your heart, and your mind.
And always remember this is how God sees you.
“The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.” 1 Corinthians 2:15-16
Grace and Peace to you my friends,
Bob West – Geezerdust©